The Spring Ice Skating Show is a themed presentation in which the entire LEARN TO SKATE PROGRAM of the Stevens Point Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department and CRYSTAL ICE FIGURE SKATING CLUB are eligible to participate in. This show is optional. Registration and details will be provided in November prior to the show date. Costumes and extra practices will be necessary for your participation. A costume committee picks costumes appropriate to the theme and music of the show. Rehearsal times will be posted on the bulletin board as well as available at the rink starting mid-February.
How do I tryout for a solo or specialty group?
The Spring Ice Show features solos and specialty numbers. These are special numbers within the Spring Ice Show. Tryouts are held for a solo or small specialty groups. The date of the tryout is posted on the bulletin board. All skaters securing a specialty number or solo are also required to perform in a freestyle group number. Group numbers are arranged by various coaches.
The Expectations for Tryouts for Solo and Specialty Numbers are:
- Passed Freestyle 3 by tryout date.
- All costume forms must be in at the time of tryouts.
- Skaters will have turned in the “Solo and Specialty Tryout Form“.
Procedures during Tryouts are:
- Arrive at the rink 30 minutes prior to tryouts.
- Skaters will pick numbers for order of skating.
- All skaters will be grouped by number picked.
- At tryouts all skaters will listen to a slower music number and a faster music number.
- All skaters will remain in their respective locker rooms until your group is to take the ice. (After you have skated, you may watch the remaining skaters from the bleachers.)
- There will be a warm-up session. During the warm-up session, the slow number and fast number will again be played.
- Following the warm-up, you will return to the locker room and wait until it is your time to perform.
Judging – a panel of judges will score each skater.
- Judging is based on moves/skills performed AND on how well the skater entertained the judges.
- Results will be posted on the bulletin board.
Where do I get my costume?
A costume committee picks costumes appropriate to the theme and music of the show. A measurement form is provided in the Learn to Skate booklet and MUST BE RETURNED BY THE SPECIFIED DATE (usually early December) along with the costume fee to participate in the show.